Are you tired of deleting unwanted files due to insufficient storage? Well, fret not. We have made a list of some good techniques by which you can compress an image.
Still wondering how reducing image size affects storage. Read the article to get a detailed overview of how image compression helps in saving space on your devices.
What is meant by compressing an image?
Compressing an image is a technique applied to any graphic file to reduce its size in bytes without losing its quality. By doing this, photos can be saved in a specific amount of disc or memory space.
Why do we need to compress an image?
- Image compression is essential when uploading photos to the web, sharing them online, or saving storage capacity when handling thousands of photos.
- Another factor is that consumers expect perfect, high-quality images when they visit a website, read a blog post, or follow your company on social media.
- Image compression is also recommended to boost your website’s SEO score and optimize page load speed.
However, the most significant concern is that the image quality will suffer due to compression. And perhaps you are searching for the most efficient ways to compress pictures without compromising quality. This post will walk you through the various methods for compressing photos and freely accessible tools while maintaining optimal quality.
7 best ways to compress an image without losing its quality
You can compress your images, whether they are in JPEG or PNG, by using any of the following ways:
- Adobe Photoshop step-by-step
- Microsoft Paint
- WebP converter
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Windows 10 Photo app
- Online tools
- Preview app on Mac
1. How to compress an image using Adobe photoshop step-by-step:
Follow the below-mentioned steps to compress an image using adobe photoshop:
- To begin, open the image you want to resize.
- Select “image size” from the Image option in the menu bar on top.
- In the “image size” adjustment box you can change the height and width of the selected image.
- You can also change the resolutions of the image. The higher the picture the better quality of your image will be.
- Uncheck the “Resample Image” checkbox to compress the image without losing its quality. By doing this, photoshop does not change the number of pixels, hence maintaining the image quality.
- Click on the OK button to save the compressed image.
2. How to compress an image with Microsoft Paint:
You can resize your image most conveniently by using Microsoft Paint, which is on your computer. By the below-mentioned steps you can attain a compressed image without losing its quality:
- Open the image you want to resize.
- Choose “Resize” from the toolbar on the top.
- From the appearing “Resize and Skew” box, adjust the image size as required.
- Don’t forget to press the OK button to save the image.
3. Compress an image using the WebP converter:
What is WebP? It is an advanced image format that provides improved lossless and lossy compression for web page image compression. Web developers can also use WebP to create compressed, richer images that speed up the web.
Comparison with JPEG and PNG:
- WebP lossless images are 26% smaller in size than PNGs.
- WebP lossy images are 25-34% smaller as compared to JPEG images with the same quality.
How the WebP converter compresses images and retains quality:
You can convert an image originally present in JPEG or PNG format into WebP format by using the “ WebP converter”.
- Search for webp converter on Google.
- When the web page is opened, select the file by clicking on “Select File”.
- Or you can also drag and drop the file that needs to be converted and press the convert button.
- Lastly, download the compressed WebP format file.
Note: Hundreds of websites will enable you to upload and compress photos. You must research beforehand whether the website you choose is safe and secure.
4. Compress an image with Microsoft Word:
A lot of people are unaware of the “compress image” option in Microsoft Word. You can compress any image without compromising its quality by following these simple steps:
- To start, open Microsoft Word.
- Select “Pictures” after clicking the Insert button.
- Choose the image file to be compressed.
- A window will pop up. Choose your required size by cropping the picture.
- Navigate to Pictures and choose the “Compress Images” option.
- Click OK, and now you can save the compressed picture.
5. Compress an image using the Microsoft Windows 10 Photo app:
If you have Windows 10 installed, you can also use the preset image viewer. The following steps are for compressing images without losing their quality:
- Open the image to be compressed.
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner and select Resize.
- Define custom dimensions by changing the required height, width, and quality.
- Save the resized copy to the desired destination.
6. Online tools to compress images:
Many free image compressors are available on the internet for free. You can use them online and don’t need to install them. Simply drag and drop or upload your photo and follow the instructions that pop up later.
These tools, however, are not as effective as Photoshop, but they are easy to use. It may also take some time to upload large image files. Some online image compressors to try are:
- Adobe Photoshop Express app
7. Compress images on Mac using the Preview app:
On a Mac, photos can be resized in the Preview app. The macOS default image viewer can also edit and compress the image.
- Open your image in MAC’s review app.
- In the menu bar, select Tools, and then Adjust Size using the drop-down menu.
- Compress the image from the Image dimension box.
- Check mark the Resample Image Resize your photo by entering the required width and height. You can see image compression in percentage and the final size of your compressed photo as you enter a value.
- Second, check the Scale proportionally to keep the photo’s original proportions. Select pixel resolution size options from the Fit in a drop-down list to retain the image ratios.
- Uncheck Resample image before adjusting the width or height if you prefer to reduce the photo size.
- Select OK.
- Lastly, go to File in the menu, and choose Save As to save your compressed photo in your desired folder.
Users may be turned off by websites with poor-quality images or slow load times. If your website takes a long time to load, visitors may abandon it in favor of the competition. It is important to give a high-quality image and to offer an excellent user experience. To do so, you must understand the basic concepts of compressing an image.
Numerous other popular programs are available on the internet, and these are just a few of them. I hope you found this information useful. I’d want to hear from you now. Which of today’s methods for compressing images and working professionally are you going to try? Or maybe I didn’t address one of your preferred methods.
In any case, please contact me promptly by posting a comment below.